Sunday, October 21, 2007

My experiences with theatre

I haven't had many experiences with theatre in my life, but the ones that I have had affected me greatly and made me appreciate the theatre a lot.
Once I hit high school, I immediately signed up for the drama club to experience what it was like to be on stage and the different components to putting together an entire show. My first performance was on stage my sophomore year. I played a mean, grumpy drill instructor in an odd comedy called "The Interview." It took two characters at a time, one was the interviewer and one the interviewee. After the original banter with the employer and job seeker, the interview ends with a big laugh and the job seeker then becomes the interviewer and another unsuspecting candidate for this "dream job" comes through the door for another round of torture. I loved the idea of playing someone completely unlike me and understanding the timing that a comedy took.
My next adventure was my junior year when I played Scrooge in an all female version of A Christmas Story. After that, it was my senior year playing Glenda, the good witch, in the Wizard of Oz.
My favorite experience was seeing the Broadway show Cabaret. Didn't actually get to see it live, but I watched the DVD of performances and also watched the movie with Liza Minnelli. I fell in love with the music and the characters. It was such an odd story, but very intriguing at the same time. I am still waiting for it to come back around again so I can experience it live.

No comments: